Saturday, April 12, 2014

Surgery is Scheduled!

Sorry we have been M.I.A. for the last week. Ross has been in CA all week for work, plus Juddy and I have been busy!  I’m glad Ross got to enjoy playing one of his “bucket list” courses while he was away too. It’s about to start getting difficult for him too, so I’m glad he got in some fun while he was away on business. We missed him terribly though. That was the longest stretch of time we’ve been away from each other in our 6 years of marriage (maybe even our whole relationship). Also, while he was gone, Judd came down with bronchitis. It’s never fun to see your little one not feeling well, but I’m always surprised at how resilient they are. He seems good as new now; just in time to welcome his Dad home!

So back to the title of this post, MY FIRST SURGERY IS FINALLY BOOKED! I received a call last Tuesday with my scheduled surgery date. The urologist and the thoracic surgeon have agreed to do both procedures during the same surgery. This is a good thing because we really need to get treatment started and this surgery will kill 2 birds with one stone. So, last Wednesday, I met with the thoracic surgeon to figure out with approach he was going to take to remove the small mass in my left lung.  Together, we decided to do a wedge resection of the mass in my lower left lobe and preserve tissue.

In case you’d like to know more…. http://www.cancercenter.com/treatments/wedge-resection/

If more cancer comes back down the road, they can always remove more tissue. In my case, it was best to preserve as much lung as I can. The thoracic surgeon will also biopsy lymph nodes on and around my lung while he’s in there so we can determine a stage. Both surgeons will be using a robot to help with the surgeries. The surgery will take about 6 hours to complete. Healing of the lung usually takes 1-2 weeks, but healing from my kidney being removed (a nephrectomy) will take 6-8 weeks. At least the pain will all be in the same general area! My right side is my good side anyway. J

Oh yeah…. so my surgery is scheduled this coming Friday, the 18th….also known as Good Friday!  

If that isn’t a great sign from above, I don’t know what is! GOD is good! I know He will be right there with me, and the surgeons, the whole way through! We’ve got this in the bag!  As far as hospital stay, I’m unsure of the duration. Like any surgery, it depends on how my body will respond. I’m planning for a 4-6 night stay.  We’re heading down to the “Moffitt Resort and Club” in Tampa Thursday afternoon to prepare for surgery.

My goal for the week is to stay healthy and enjoy my two favorite boys!

Happy 6 Years, Rossy!! <3


-Abby

1 comment: