Sunday, May 4, 2014

What's Good?

Before I write this post, I have to give credit where credit is due. I am totally ripping off this idea….theft: plain and simple. Let me backtrack and explain though. I've said many times that I am a man of many routines….I apply the shampoo, then bathe, then rinse all at once (efficiency). I don't leave the house without chopping up exactly 1/3 of a lemon and putting it into a water bottle (delightful). And on my 50 minute morning and afternoon commute, I listen intently to my beloved radio talk show "Johnny's House" (my morning escape). Let me put it to you this way, don't call me from 7:32-8:24 AM unless you want……..well, let's just say DON'T CALL ME! Abs knows from experience.

(I can see it now….one of my buddies will read this and call me tomorrow morning. Don't expect an answer. Expect a text with a cute little emoticon exuding a certain Finger)

Every week on Johnny's House they have a segment called "What's Good"? For 10-15 minutes, they invite listeners to call and share "what's good" in their life. Sounds kind of corny…..trust me, it's awesome! High school dropouts finishing their GED…..formerly unemployed persons sharing how their startup business just reached 10 employees…..fathers bragging about their daughters finishing college. It's inspiring and has now become the inspiration for this post.

Soooo……"What's Good?" with the Jones family. Too many blessings to count from HIM, but here's a couple that standout……..

#1 - Spontaneity  (If you correct me on the spelling, expect the same emoticon listed above)

My picture is not exactly in the dictionary next to the word spontaneous. If Abby asked me in April to take her away for the weekend, I'd typically respond and say "No prob....lets shoot for October". Man, what a lucky girl. Seriously, I made a list of things I do spontaneously before writing this post. The list is below…..

1. Use the bathroom
The End

This week I was inspired to be spontaneous for a change. Earlier in the week we were given a card, along with a humbling gift inside, with a message that said "YOU MUST USE THIS FOR PLEASURE AND TO PAMPER YOURSELF……PERHAPS A DOWN PAYMENT ON A PORSCHE OR A CHALET IN VAIL?" Honestly, who talks like that? These folks do, and we love them….dearly.

While stopped at a red-light on Wednesday, I sent Abs a text that said we should go to the beach (THIS WEEKEND). Our room was booked within the hour. A couple other friends had also given us a humbling gift card earlier in the week, so off we went to the beach on the breast cancer discount of $0. No prior planning. Just going with the flow…..and darn it: I think it was the best weekend we've EVER had as a family.







Parenthood…….it really is true what they say: It's Incredible

There is so much I want in life, but if all it said in my obituary was "Husband to Abby and Father to Judd"…..that would be alright with me. 

Somehow…..she seems content


#2 - Reunion

Our "Friends Family" was able to find time for a dinner and morning breakfast a couple weekends back. Seems like no big deal, huh? Well, dating back to Memorial Day of 2012; we had only ALL been in the same room together ONCE until last weekend. The fact that it happened one week after Abby's surgery, AND that Abby was able to enjoy the night virtually pain free…..well, dare I use my favorite word: DESIGN? (I'm so going to write a book on the subject).

What follows here are photos of absolutely horrible quality, taken by yours truly…..The Idiotic Ross Jones. What matters is that those in the photos are one heck of a group.

A Dean, City Powerbroker, Doctor, and Attorney….On this night: Buds
Can you guess which one is named "Audrey"?
Will throws a mean right hook
Moms

Moms
Lord Landon "Lando" Ahrens…..the world's most alert 6 week old
The beginning of the world's scariest game of "Hot Potato Landon"
Bros - Watching the rest of us in the kitchen
Not much in the way of a focal point - but pretty much sums up where we are in life


So, what's new with Abs you ask? Well, very busy week ahead. We went to Moffitt last Friday to have a quick check on her lung. All is great, but you can imagine feeling a little "bubble" when you breathe would be alarming. The docs say all is A-ok! She's got a lot on her plate this week: MRI, Minor surgery for installing her chemo port, followups at Moffitt. Lets just say she's busy.

As for YOU…….you see the comment box. You've heard "What's Good" from the Jones family. How about telling us "what's good" with you. We'd love to hear from you. Lets face it: Mondays Suck! Lets get the good vibes going so we can ALL dominate the week ahead. Oh, and please don't tell Johnny's House I stole their material. 

-Rossco


4 comments:

  1. Well as you saw on FB I checked a major bucket list item off and dove with Whale Sharks, Justin and I are heading home now from a roadtrip to Alabama and Atlanta where we attended to Eric Clapton concerts and we can't wait to pick Parker up from the parents tomorrow. That's What's Good with the Davis's. Will be thinking of you three as you embark on this busy week! Love and Prayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's Good with the Sherouse House: Well, the most spontaneous thing we did all weekend was to go to Sam's Club; without the kids. That never happens! But, they wanted to spend the night with their Granny & Papa. Like my husband says, "Spend as much time with them as you can because you just never know." I can only imagine how that statement has rang true for you guys over the last few months. And even though we lounged around today doing nothing in particular, we were together and shared hugs, and kisses, and laughs and it was a great day.

    Wishing Abby all the best with her appointments this week. We will be thinking about you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Riersons are blessed! We had a wonderful visit with friends and family in Florida and South Carolina. Even though we moved away from Florida, we have such good friends and family that we still feel like we belong there. We are grateful for the good news that Abby got about her pathology and the strength she has shown throughout this entire process. As for me, I am very excited to be done with night shifts after this week and finishing up with my internship year. Auds and I can’t wait to move into our townhome in Charlottesville, VA next month and start our new life up there. We are excited to have friends and family come up to visit!

    We are so glad Abby is recovering well from her surgeries and we are also glad you guys got to visit the first annual “friends weekend” location at Tradewinds. We will be thinking and praying for her as she goes through her port insertion and MRI. Love you guys and go Team Jones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "What's Good??" - nervously anticipating a much needed 8-day vacation with beloved friends while a big chunk of my heart doesn't want to be away... but - constantly being reassured by HIM that all is good and that this member of "Team Jones" needs a recharge.... so... the cobwebs in my house have been banished so that "M' doesn't spot them, most of my clothes have been thought out for packing the morning we leave, my car has been gassed up for outings/appts with Miss Abby, an allotment of time has been set aside for painting my piggies, Juddy's "lovies" have been freshly washed for new "smell" and 56 arrives on Thursday - eh, I'm old - so what??

    Amen to bust spontaneity and going with the flow... aka - the simple things <3

    ReplyDelete