Monday, March 24, 2014

How I Met My Cancer!

(In honor of Ross’ Favorite Show)

Many people have asked me since my diagnosis, “How was this found?” Well, it’s quite simple……about 7 years ago, my mother’s youngest sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. Since then, I’ve been paranoid that I was destined to also get this dreaded disease. I also have a strong family history of breast cancer as well as other cancers on both sides of my family. So yes, I was paranoid and gave myself breast exams often.

About 5 years ago, I found a mass in my left breast that alerted me to have my doctor check it out. They told me it was most likely nothing, but referred me to have a breast ultrasound for my peace of mind. The radiologist deemed the mass in my left breast a fibro-adenoma without doing a biopsy. The mass was movable and appeared to have no change when they re-evaluated it 6 months later. At that appointment they also noticed I had several cysts in each breast. After they checked the 2nd time, they told me I did not need to come back until I was 30 years old for routine care. (Since I have a strong family history, they wanted to see me younger than the typical 40 baseline.)

When I was pregnant with Juddy, of course my breasts were tender. It’s a common “side effect” of pregnancy. You moms out there can understand! However, after I had Judd, and finished breastfeeding (which wasn’t long because I didn’t produce enough milk), I noticed my breasts were often tender. Last fall, I started to notice a mass in my right breast…. Actually, right in the same area that I had mastitis when I was breastfeeding. Then, I noticed that every time Judd would lay his head in a particular spot, it would be painful and I would have to move his head.  I kept this worry to myself and kept telling myself that I would wait to have it checked when I went for my annual appointment in the spring. After all, I knew I had fibro-adenomas and cysts in my breasts already and told myself it was probably just one of those causing soreness.  Well, then I started to see “signs” (EVERYWHERE!!) in the beginning of the year. To name a few, I saw cars on a daily basis that had breast cancer survivor flags on them, my mask box at work is pink for breast cancer awareness, people would post random things on facebook about breast cancer, and of course the Nightly News always has some story about the controversy of mammography.  So FINALLY, I caved and made an appointment. My annual was scheduled in April, so I called and asked to be seen sooner for a breast exam because I was concerned. They moved my appointment to the end of February. THEN I called ONE last time and asked to be seen ASAP to have my breasts evaluated to get a referral for a breast ultrasound. Since I’m only 29, Radiology and Associates would only see me if I had a referral from my doctor (which I think is stupid!). I know my body better than any doctor and should be able to have an ultrasound or mammogram if I want to! But that’s a rant for another time and I’m certain it’s insurance driven anyway.

Anyway, I got a referral, and got in quickly to have an ultrasound. After the ultrasound, the radiologist came in and told me he saw 2 concerning areas, one in each breast, and wanted me to have a mammogram. Great…an ultrasound is easy….but now I have to have my breast smashed into a pancake! After he reviewed my images, he came in and told me that I need to have biopsies done on both masses.  SO at that point, I became scared.  Of course they couldn’t do it that day and I had to be rescheduled to the following week.  Biopsy day came, and once in the room with the tech, she shared with me that she had been praying for me AND had her mother praying for me too ever since she saw me last! Ummmm…..while that was super nice, it made me super upset, instantly. My heart started thumping full throttle.  I don’t like to cry in front of people and definitely not in front of a stranger but there I was, sobbing. Clearly, she saw something during my initial appointment that she thought was cancerous and she sees these images on a daily basis so I instantly knew……this isn’t good. The radiologist also told me he was concerned.  Then, I had to wait 6 LONG days for the pathology results to confirm what my gut already told me….TORTURE!

DIAGNOSIS DAY…… Monday, February 24, 2014. Ross and I walked into my doctor’s office to have my results read to me in person and I just had a feeling.   They took me back immediately after I signed in. Since when does a Dr. see you immediately??? Dr. Johnson walked in and sat down and looked over the pathology report and said, “Well, your right breast…they’re going to call this cancer….and your left breast….they’re calling this cancer as well.” I just sat there quietly and tears began to drop from my eyes. There it was. The dreaded words I hoped to have never heard in my lifetime.

Ross just read this over and said I’m being a real “Downer”. I am sorry and hope you know that is not my intent with this post. Here’s the point…….give yourself regular breast exams! Don’t sit around for 5 months in fear! Go see your doctor. We’d be in the homestretch of our stressful year if I had gone last fall.  

I’m thankful I found it. How else would I have found the kidney?? A blessing in disguise.


-Abby

6 comments:

  1. ...perfectly written...a part of your "journey" with a persuasive message for all who read it... ILY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Abby! Praying for you everyday! It's okay to be down at times, especially in your situation. It's hard to be positive about it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. And Ross, shut up :) Just kidding. I am sure she relies on you to keep things interesting! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Downer" or not, this is part of the journey and we are so thankful you are sharing it and bringing awareness to this cause. You are saving lives in the process. Small world moment: our cleaning lady asked me this morning if we knew you, her mother now carries your name in her pocket so she can pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to share a support group site on FB called Beyond The Boobie trap. There are over a million members. You can get most questions answered and meet some wonderful new friends. I have known your Sheppard since I was 5 and your mom since high school. My name is Susan. I pray for Gods love comfort and strength for you and your family. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know you but I read this and I actually had my annual today. I feel my boobs A LOT and after reading this I will not let any pain/lump go until I'm assessed by a doctor. I hope you keep writing and inspiring and teaching other young women around the world to check their tits! It is so important to get that message out there. Young people often go undiagnosed because number one, doctors can be ass#$%*# and name it a fibroadenoma without a biopsy and insurance is sketchy, young women aren't required to get mammograms in their 20's which in many cases is not appropriate for every woman. I wish you all the best in your journey.
    Sealed with love and hope,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete