Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Last Wednesday with Boobs

Hi friends! A post is long overdue….so I’m sorry I’ve kept ya hanging for so long.

Here is what’s new in the Jones house….

MY NEXT SURGERY IS ON MONDAY, the 22nd!  I am actually excited to get this part of my life over with. Several people have asked what surgery I’m having this time. I will be having a bi-lateral (both breasts) mastectomy. I will be left with 2 incisions and a chest as flat as Judd’s.  Like I’ve mentioned before, I can’t get immediate reconstruction. The surgeon needs to make sure she achieved clean margins and we won’t know that information until the final pathology report comes out. If clear margins were not achieved, we would have to go back in for surgery and remove more tissue. Usually, she would just send me for radiation and not put me through surgery again. However, in my case, I need to avoid radiation whenever possible.  Radiation, which most of you probably know, can cause secondary cancer. Since we know I have a genetic mutation that makes me more prone than the average person to getting cancer…..we need to avoid radiation!

We will head down to Tampa this Sunday night so we’ll be ready for the early morning wake up call on Monday. I need to get to Moffitt at 6:30 for my 8:15 surgery Monday morning.  My surgeon tells me I will most likely stay just one night in the hospital and that this surgery will be way easier than my last surgery.  That was nice to hear! I pray she’s correct! My Dad is flying in for the week, Ross took the week off and so did my FIL. When Ross heads back to work, my best friend, Mindi, is flying in for a few days to be my personal nurse.  I’m a lucky gal!  Lets Do This!

In other news, MY EJECTION FRACTURE (the heart issue I was having) is BACK TO NORMAL!!  This means I can start receiving Herceptin (the medicine I need to get 13 more times) again. So, tomorrow I’ll be heading to my local oncologist to get a quick, 30-minute infusion.  Those will continue every 3 weeks unless my heart needs another break. Praying it won’t though.  

Have I mentioned how happy I am to be done with chemo?!  The last round went well! I had no major problems other than the normal exhaustion.  I still have my hair and I’m SO GLAD TO BE DONE USING THE COLD CAPS! It was exciting to ship those back to the company. Don’t get me wrong, they worked wonderfully and I’m extremely grateful I have my hair….I just didn’t enjoy the process. I still have to continue to be gentle with my hair for a little while longer though.

Thank you, Jimmy Walton @ Walton Rental’s for supplying the dry ice each round.




During my last round, I got to see a few familiar faces…





I also learned that this sweet man that sat across from me the last few times is family of my family up in Tennessee. Sounds like Tennessee, right? 

They told me they prayed for me EVERY night.


I certainly rang that bell and RAN!

I know I look ridiculous.

Finally….. I need to say a special thanks to my sister, Kristi and my husband, Ross. Together, they make a fierce team. They helped make the last several months a walk in the park for me.  Without my sister (and the cold caps of course), I wouldn’t have hair. Kristi is so meticulous with everything she does and that played a major role in saving my hair. Kristi is so supportive and caring and has had my back every step of the way. I’m blessed she is my sister and my friend. Also, a special thanks to her bosses for letting her take all of that time off of work so she could be by my side. I’m so grateful!

And to my AMAZING husband….. as you all know….. HE IS MY #1 fan. He has had to be mega Dad and pseudo Mom to our son basically all year AND he does it happily. He is an amazing, hands-on Dad to our Judd. He makes sure I get my rest and makes sure I’m comfortable always. He assures me often that the soon to be change in my body will not alter the way he feels about me. He loves me for who I am…. and sometimes, I can be a handful.  He’s selfless in everything he does and always puts others first.  He’s just awesome! Thank you God for giving him the strength to fight this fight with me!

I love you Rossy-Pooh! 




I'll keep you posted!   

~Abby

6 comments:

  1. If you need a 3d tattoo for the areola I know someone who does a great job. Just let me know and I can give you her info. Thoughts and prayers your way lady. You are so strong and such an inspiration. Keep up the positive attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristy! I will certainly ask you about the tattoo artist when the time comes! Remind me later!

      Delete
  2. Praying for you every day Abs ... who needs boobs anyway they just get in the way and give you another spot to sweat in the FL heat! :o) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby,
    We've been traveling similar paths, reversed roles. It's quite possible you and Wendell were in chemo together and never met. You inspire me, and it's an honor to share genetics! You, Ross, Judd, your precious Mom and all our other family members are in our prayers. Just the thought of not lugging these DDD's around, hmm... Hey, we love you, and you've got this, baby girl. Cancer, you goin DOWN, suckah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we have Carolyn! Thank you for your kind words and prayers! I actually had chemo in Ocala and I'm glad I did. :)

      Delete