Sunday, August 10, 2014

How I Met My Cancer - Part 2!

Meet The Mellingers! Its hard to believe its been so long, but well over a decade ago we roamed the halls together at Floridas premier secondary education center, Forest High School.



Kelly: Always cool.heck of a soccer player..one of those people that everyone could agree on.

Ryan: Man amongst boys growing up..was pretty much able to buy beer at age 14.good guy..landed a woman two years his Senior. Yeah baby!

Maguire and Emerson: Appear to be two great kids whom thankfully look more like their mom (Sorry Ryan).

The Mellingers are just one of the many young families weve met whom are in this fight alongside us. In many ways, theyre living the same year as us.They rang in the New Year thinking 2014 had great things in store.then realized in February that this wont be just another year. Ryan and Abs have kind of become pen pals in a way this year.  They often message each other to compare notes on their experiences.

Our blog is not just about us, and so we invited The Mellingers to share their stories too. To this day, Abbys How I Met My Cancer post is by far our most viewed post. Thus, Ryans story about how he found his cancer can really help us guys. What follows below is the story of how Ryan found his cancer. It is at times a graphic account (though this necessary), and certainly the subject matter is quite adult. But, the information can help all of us. Worth it!

We look forward to sharing more of their story along the way.

  
I have been asked by Abby to talk about my experience with cancer so far. I am by no means an author, so forgive any grammar mistakes.

As most of us men can attest to, pride is an attribute that we do not like to give up very easily. If there is something wrong we either dismiss it for a while, or just say, there isn't anything wrong at all.  This is where I was during December of 2013.  I noticed a mass on my testicle, and a bit of a tender pain. I didn't think too much about it, and said that I had a physical scheduled for January of 2014, so why not just wait?! The thought was always in the back of my mind, that this mass could be a call for concern, but again I am a man, and it wasn't that uncomfortable to deal with. The mass was hard and directly on my testicle. There are other masses that can occur within this region, but from what I have read, those aren't a real threat, just the ones that are DIRECTLY on the testicle. Anyhow, if you have something down there, get it checked out immediately! The earlier the dectection..the better!

This whole cancer journey started on a night in early February of this year. I had just woke up from putting my son Maguire down for the night. We call his bed the Sleep Trap. I don't know what it is about that bed, but it puts me out everytime! When I woke up I had the feeling like someone was squeezing and wouldn't let go. The pain migrated into to my abdominal region. I tried to see if the pain would subside, but after 15 minutes, and countless google searches of what could be happening, all signs pointed to.

Get your butt to the hospital!

This isn't just from a cancer standpoint, anytime you have pain in this region, you have a limited window before they have to consider removal. You could get the tubes tangled and such, which then cuts off blood flow.  I think the window is about two hours.  So with that, Kelly and I called some great friends, Rachel and Kerry, and had them stay at the house while we rushed to the hospital. I can't imagine what they were thinking, after getting a phone call at 10:00 at night, but they knew it was urgent!

When Kelly and I got to the hospital, we were rushed right back to get an ultrasound. This is the real definitive way of finding out what is going on.  Sadly, the ultrasound did show a large mass, 2 cm, on my right testicle.  After the ultrasound, the doctor on duty said it was pretty much 95% cancer. They didn't know what kind, but it had more than likely been there for longer than December of 2013, I just started noticing it at that time.  From what I have been told, testicular cancer is not hereditary, and they still don't know what triggers it. It generally happens between young adult males, 18-35 years of age. What they are trying to link it to is under development.  My right testicle has been smaller than its buddy for a few years, and I am sure all of the blunt trauma I have experienced to that area through sports have stunted its growth quite a bit. If I would have known this earlier, I would have gone sooner to get that small guy checked out.

After the blood work, and pretty much a next day orchiectomy, they determined I had non-seminoma testicular cancer. It is the rarer form of the two kinds; non-seminoma and seminoma. The non-seminoma cancers are typically faster acting, and not real susceptive to radiation. I probably should have started this guest appearance a long time ago, because there is a lot to write. I will stop here with the initial diagnosis, and keep adding to Abby's blog in the future.

I have to tip my hat to anyone who goes through this experience, whether it be cancer, chemo or radiation. As everyone always says, attitude is half the battle, and I would be the first to agree! I have had a great support system, at work and home as well as friends. I welcome any questions anyone might have on this subject! I know it mjght be difficult for men to discuss things like this so please feel free to friend me on facebook and start a conversation. More to come. Abby thank you for having me as a guest speaker!!


-Ryan Mellinger

No comments:

Post a Comment